Keep It Green
This year we are looking to improve sustainability on Fellowship Island with a view to extending beneficial practices across the wider event in future years. The purpose of this sustainability pilot is to:
• Reduce waste, maximise recycling and minimise the environmental impact of the event.
• Use the event to promote a green, inclusive culture in Waltham Forest.
• Create opportunities to make Fellowship Island financially sustainable.
• Ensure the event is a safe, welcoming place for the public.
As a first step we are asking traders, partners, organisations and event-goers to reduce, reuse and recycle their resources during the planning and delivery of the event. These are the key objectives for 2017:
• To minimise plastic packaging e.g. plastic bottled water, plastic bags, plastic cutlery.
• To minimise waste – working with traders and partners to judiciously plan resources.
• To maximise recycling opportunities e.g. for traders’ wet waste, event-goers’ waste.
• To minimise power requirements and use clean energy where possible.
• To minimise road and air miles e.g. by prioritising local traders.
• To encourage responsible sourcing e.g. Fairtrade, organic.
• To maximise access and encourage inclusivity.
• To ensure the event is safe.
• To make the island as financially self-sufficient as possible.
If you are planning to attend WGP as a member of the public what can you do to contribute to these goals?
• Bring a reusable water bottle that can be refilled with water at the water points.
• Use reusable bags for your belongings, food and drink.
• Walk, cycle or use public transport to get to the event.
• Don’t litter: throw your waste away in the correct bin to ensure it will be recycled.
• Spread the word and encourage others to follow our suggestions