Keep it Green
We are committed to running Walthamstow as sustainably as possible and reducing our environmental impacts wherever possible. We have joined the Festival Vision: 2025 pledge, with industry steering group Powerful Thinking, and are aiming to reduce our impacts year on year and measure our progress.
Find out more about the pledge at: www.festivalvision2025.net
To do this, we set ourselves objectives across each level of planning and delivering the Garden Party to:
- Reduce waste, maximise recycling and minimise the environmental impact of Walthamstow Garden Party
- Use the event to promote a green, inclusive culture in Waltham Forest
- Ensure the event is a safe, welcoming place for the public
This extends out to the traders, partners, organisations and event-goers involved in the Garden Party to reduce, reuse and recycle their resources. Together we aim to:
- Minimise use of plastic packaging e.g. plastic bottled water, plastic bags, plastic knives and forks
- Minimise waste – working with traders and partners to judiciously plan resources
- Maximise recycling opportunities e.g. for traders’ wet waste, event-goers’ waste
- Minimise power requirements and use clean energy where possible
- Minimise road and air miles e.g. by prioritising local traders.
- Encourage responsible sourcing e.g. Fairtrade, organic
- Maximise access and encourage inclusivity
- Ensure the event is safe
- Make the island as financially self-sufficient as possible
Is it working? Well in 2017 we proudly saved 2086 plastic water bottles from being thrown away through working with FRANK Water to refill 1043 litres of water festival-goers. We also successfully recycled over 1.8 tonnes of waste and turned 250kg of food waste into free compost for Waltham Forest residents.
We’re incredibly proud of the work that has been done up to now, but we’re committed to going further and improving the sustainability of Walthamstow Garden Party. To help us do this you can:
- Bring a reusable water bottle that can be refilled with water at the water points.
- Use reusable bags for your belongings, food and drink.
- Walk, cycle or use public transport to get to the event.
- Don’t litter: throw your waste away in the correct bin to ensure it will be recycled.
- Spread the word and encourage others to follow our suggestions