Fellowship Island Sustainability Plan
This year we are looking to improve sustainability on Fellowship Island with a view to extending beneficial practices across the wider event in future years. The purpose of this sustainability pilot is to:
- Reduce waste, maximise recycling and minimise the environmental impact of the event.
- Use the event to promote a green, inclusive culture in Waltham Forest.
- Create opportunities to make Fellowship Island financially sustainable.
- Ensure the event is a safe, welcoming place for the public.
As a first step we are asking traders, partners, organisations and event-goers to reduce, reuse and recycle their resources during the planning and delivery of the event. These are the key objectives for 2017:
- To minimise plastic packaging e.g. plastic bottled water, plastic bags, plastic cutlery.
- To minimise waste – working with traders and partners to judiciously plan resources.
- To maximise recycling opportunities e.g. for traders’ wet waste, event-goers’ waste.
- To minimise power requirements and use clean energy where possible.
- To minimise road and air miles e.g. by prioritising local traders.
- To encourage responsible sourcing e.g. Fairtrade, organic.
- To maximise access and encourage inclusivity.
- To ensure the event is safe.
- To make the island as financially self-sufficient as possible.
If you are planning to attend WGP as a member of the public here's what you can do to help:
- Bring a reusable water bottle that can be refilled at the free water points.
- Use reusable bags for your belongings, food and drink.
- Walk, cycle or use public transport to get to the event.
- Don’t litter: throw your waste away in the correct bin to ensure it will be recycled.
- Spread the word and encourage others to follow our suggestions